View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 ah5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezypoof View Post
Well I have to comment on this, because it's data vs. bimmerfest anectodes. The data clearly shows diesel is $.30 more than premium. State by state varies, but just looking at big ones it's still a significant gap. CA is $0.25; NY is $0.15; TX is $0.35... NY looks pretty good actually. The $0.30 we pay more here in michigan is, according to the data, exactly average.

Diesel engines cost more to build, and diesel fuel costs more than gasoline (for various bad reasons). These are facts that can't (lol, I know better) be argued. Subsidies can help the first one, the 2nd is bigger and unlikely to change.
Economy:

$0.25 out of ~$4 equates to ~6%. +10MPG on top of 25MPG is 40%.

Big chunk of extra cost of diesel engine can be easy recouped back when time comes to sell it (used TDIs are rare and hard to find). If you lease it - then you need to apply lease math to the extra cost of diesel - e.g. do not forget to subtract residual when you are looking at the price difference.

p.s. 335d has 425lbs-ft of torque, which is almost the same as 550i (people buy horsepowers, but drive torque), so, when compare price of upcoming 535d, compare it with avg of 535i and 550i to have better understanding of value-proposition.