View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 08:07 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezypoof View Post
Well I have to comment on this, because it's data vs. bimmerfest anectodes. The data clearly shows diesel is $.30 more than premium. State by state varies, but just looking at big ones it's still a significant gap. CA is $0.25; NY is $0.15; TX is $0.35... NY looks pretty good actually. The $0.30 we pay more here in michigan is, according to the data, exactly average.

Diesel engines cost more to build, and diesel fuel costs more than gasoline (for various bad reasons). These are facts that can't (lol, I know better) be argued. Subsidies can help the first one, the 2nd is bigger and unlikely to change.
From what I've read of your arguments they are well reasoned, but this post brings into question the accuracy of this particular data. My comments are in reference to Texas, where I lived most of my life, until my recent move. I can tell you from years of direct observation of fuel prices in Texas that diesel fuel is rarely 35 cents/gal. higher or lower than premium. It is usually quite close to the same price per gallon. Usually within 10 cents higher or lower and RARELY more than 20 cents different, whether up or down. Whoever came up with an average difference of 35 centin Texas was not looking at real world fuel prices.

There is one way I can see that data holding up. That is if you compare to premium unleaded with 91 octane. But, in Texas that represents a minuscule segment of the premium fuel market. In Texas well over 95% of premium fuel available is 93 octane. (Excepting the high plains of Texas where the elevation is over 3,000 feet and virtually all premium fuel is 90 octane.)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 11-27-2012 at 08:16 PM.