View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 10:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '03 330i-6MT
Another NE native now in CA and looking for a 530! A few thoughts on this search:
  • Sport Package and Premium Package are two separate option packages. Sport Package does not include everything in the Premium Package. It's the suspension, wheels, shadowline trim, and three-spoke steering wheel. On 530s, I think the sport package makes the sport seat a no cost option, but not mandatory. I've seen plenty of sport package 530s with standard seats. All this said, it is kinda rare to find a 530 without the premium package. I'm not sure exactly what's in the premium package, but I believe it is a bunch of crap most people would expect to find in a 5 series anyway (real leather rather than leatherette, power passenger seat, the powered tilt/telescope wheel).
  • A manual 530i is pretty rare, and you are going to have to be patient. I agree that keeping repair cost down is more important than color, but if you can wait you might get a clean car in a color you like. These cars are a pain to find though, and exterior color is probably the first thing I would compromise on too. Fortunately BMW doesnt have too many truly ugly colors, except for the occasional beige. My hangup is I really want a black interior. I would like tan if the upper dash and door cards were black instead of tan like on an E46, but that isn't the case :-(.
  • What happened with the 530 at $10995? For that price the car had better be showroom. Sadly, it doesn't seem out of line with what others are asking. There is a 530i5 sport in SF asking $11000 right now. I'm tempted to check it out, but silver isn't my top choice and the asking price is so high I have doubts I can get it down anywhere near what I would want to pay. I think KBB excellent for that car is $9500, so I'm not sure where sellers get these prices from. The worst part is I think they are getting these prices. Some examples:
2002 330i5, sport and premium with only 45k miles likely sold for $11500. I never got as far as the PPI but I know the sunroof shade clips were broken
2001 530i5 with no options (no sport, no premium) w/68k miles likely sold for $9000. I didn't get to the PPI stage, but this car was really clean. I thought about it and then changing the suspension, but thought I would have too much into it at that point.
530i5 premium, non-sport. I forget miles. Likely sold for $6k. I didn't get to the PPI with this one either, but I thought it was a mess. Lots of dents and scratches, chewed up wheels, leaking oil pan gasket, and 5th gear locking pin was sticking causing the transmission to rest under 5th. Rattled on the test drive and trunk smelled like cat pee.
Sorry for the wall of text. I think what I am trying to say is it is a really tough market right now.