View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 11:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bean View Post
2. "Drive off assistant." The feature that holds the brakes while you're stopped on a hill to keep the car from rolling before you can release the clutch. This is probably a moot point to most drivers but I'm a long time stick shift driver and an admitted purest when it comes to certain things. More specifically, it bothers me when electronics "dumb down" the car and make it easier not to eff things up (stability control is another gripe of mine, but that's easy to turn off). Is there any was to disable this horrible "feature?" It's driving me nuts!!
When I got my '08 128i in '08, I also didn't care for the drive off assistant. But after 4 years with it, 2 years with my MT '07 328i wagon and a few days with a new Boxster, I don't even think about it. You'll get used to it soon enough.

The thing that bothers me more on the 128i/328i is the absence of any temperature gauge. While I remember that the water temp gauge on my '99 E46 was so heavily buffered as to be irtually an idiot light, it did give the driver a sense of when the motor was up to operating temperature. The work around for the 128i is to periodically check the oil level through the OBC and when a reading is given, the engine is warm enough to have some fun.

Enjoy your new 128i!

Tom