View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 12:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i M-sport Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3-terrestrial View Post
Thanks!, all great suggestions, it's going to be hard to decide, mostly because I have no idea how long it takes to go from one place to another. I'm staying at The Bentley 500 E 62nd St, but actually spending most of the day on Fifth Ave between 52nd and 53rd Streets.

Empire State Building is kind of close (surprised no one mentioned it), is it worth going?
Then the Highline sounds good, WTC Memorial, Times Square, Broadway and Chinatown too. I'm taking notes and will start mapping everything to try and have a visual and make a decision. Definitely too little time....
Thanks again!
You will be very close to the place I mentioned in my previous post. But, see below first:

Now that I know where you are staying, here is how I would spend my one evening in NYC:

1) Avoid Times Square at all costs. It is nothing but pure tourist HELL.
2) Visit Rock Center to see the huge Christmas Tree, the skating rink, and take in the general holiday cheer. The Radio City Christmas Spectacular is right around the corner as well. It's a tad cheesy but very well done.
3) From Rock Center, cross Fifth Ave and check out Saks Fifth Avenue.
4) Walk South on 5th Avenue and visit Grand Central which is 1 block East of 5th. It's an amazing building, they will have a great little Christmas shopping area set up, and there is a Junior's (on the lower level) where you can have the worlds greatest cheesecake. There is also a great bakery on the same level as Junior's called The Little Pie Company.
5) Walk East to Third Avenue, north to 49th (an 8-10 min walk) and have dinner at Smith & Wollensky.
6) If you are into Jazz, check out the Monday night band at The Village Vanguard. The second set is usually a little better because a few of the Broadway cats play the second set since it's after their shows get out.

Done. What a night! And you can do all of that (except #6) without a subway ride or cab ride.

BTW, I've lived in NYC twice for about 7 years and I've never been up the ESB.
PCD - December 16, 2009