View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 01:27 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
2011 328i manual = 18/28
2013 328i manual = 22/32

Maybe that's a good indication of the benefit of the N20, plus stop/start etc.
Oh, yes, I forgot about the F30's start/stop advantage, which they say adds 1 mpg to the ratings it gets.

And, yes, this is a good example of how much more you get from a four paired to a manual transmission than paired to an automatic.

Interesting too is that the mileage goes the other way when you pair the manual with the six. Down to 20 & 30.

This is also a pretty clear indication that we have the N20 here in the U.S. because it was a money saver for BMW. Four bangers with manuals are the norm in Europe and it was much easier for BMW to ship this new motor over here than R&D a new, smaller inline six for the U.S. market. Add that to the fact that Audi already was only offering a four in the A4 and Merc was also moving to a four banger in the C and it was the perfect storm.

However, all of that does not change the fact that, contrary to popular argument, BMW did not have no choice other than a four to meet CAFE requirements. If they had wanted to they could have done it with another inline six. But, as is clearly indicated, most U.S. consumers don't give a rat's ass.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 11-28-2012 at 01:31 PM.