View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 01:27 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
2011 328i manual = 18/28
2013 328i manual = 22/32

Maybe that's a good indication of the benefit of the N20, plus stop/start etc.
Oh, yes, I forgot about the F30's start/stop advantage, which they say adds 1 mpg to the ratings it gets.

And, yes, this is a good example of how much more you get from a four paired to a manual transmission than paired to an automatic.

Interesting too is that the mileage goes the other way when you pair the manual with the six. Down to 20 & 30.

This is also a pretty clear indication that we have the N20 here in the U.S. because it was a money saver for BMW. Four bangers with manuals are the norm in Europe and it was much easier for BMW to ship this new motor over here than R&D a new, smaller inline six for the U.S. market. Add that to the fact that Audi already was only offering a four in the A4 and Merc was also moving to a four banger in the C and it was the perfect storm.

However, all of that does not change the fact that, contrary to popular argument, BMW did not have no choice other than a four to meet CAFE requirements. If they had wanted to they could have done it with another inline six. But, as is clearly indicated, most U.S. consumers don't give a rat's ass.

Then and Than are different words and they are not interchangeable.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 11-28-2012 at 01:31 PM.