View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 01:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 528i
Cool..i'm really looking forward to the 2 series in all its forms (esp M235i and M2 if they make it). There have been other rumors floating around that there will be a 2 series Gran Coupe (so 4 door), which would be great. If they do that, I'd be surprised if they also have a more traditional 4 door sedan badged as 1 series, but apparenlty they are planning a 4 series gran coupe as well whcih would overlap a bit with the 3 series sedan.

I'm excited because the 2 gran coupe and/or 1 series sedan will likely be similar in size to the old e46 (maybe a bit smaller) which for many of us was the ideal car size. I'm sold as long they fix those stupid headlights (though i have to say this rendering by Autocar looks pretty good)!

There's no way that the M version of the 1/2 series will be FWD- htat wouldn't make any sense. But, it look pretty certain that BMW will introduce some 1 series variants that are FWD based and share the platform w/ MINI. The 1 series GT concept at the Paris auto show was FWD. So it does get a bit confusing. Also be curious whether its an entirely new platform that just shares the 1 series moniker, or if they engineered the F20/F30 platform to be flexible enough to handle transverse FWD applications. Does seem to mimic the approach taken by Mercedes w/ their forthcoming CLA.

Then again, the term "platform" is becoming increasingly nebulous as carmakers are increasingly able to build numerous variants on the same assembly line and share components acors their whole lineup.

Last edited by bmw325; 11-28-2012 at 01:49 PM.