View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 07:45 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 4.4
Transmission shift from 1st gear

I have a 2001 4.4 X5. About a week ago, I started my car to go to work early morning and found out my first gear takes a couple seconds of driving to shift to normal drive. I have no choice but drive it to work. It ran Ok in the freeway, since i did not stop driving. When I got out of the freeway, and at the stop sign, I changed to the triptronic . I think it improved a bit but when i stopped the car at the parking lot, I saw TRANSMISSION FAIL PROG in the dashboard! I thought that was it; my x5 transmission gave out. After work, I thought I'd be calling AAA for a tow, but when i started the car to move it outside the parking structure, the problem with the 1st gear was gone; it seams whatever happened when i used the manual ****fter, it "cured" the problem of delayed shifting from 1st gear. Could it be the transmission module/computer reset itself when I changed to manual shifting? All I know is that the transmission is "fine" now. I drove this morning for 1 hour/40 miles, average between 40-70 mph, ran OK. Does someone have the same problem? I am thinking of changing the atf but it is running and shifting OK now. It has 101K miles.