View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 06:48 PM
Raoul Duke

Mein Auto: Great Red Shark
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
When is the last time you've been to Veniero? That was good 10-15 years ago. Now it is owned by Chinese/Korean whatever and not by Italians. It is mediocre at best, if you catch them in a good day. Stay away. This place runs on its past reputation. It used to be one of my favorite places since I used to live just a couple of blocks away, and the few times I tried them during the last few years they were so bad.
It's been a long time since I was there. You've seriously burst my canoli bubble.

Their FB page shows the bakers from mobile pics taken just last week. They are Italian.

So this blurb on their site is a lie?
Quote:
Four Generations of Quality Baking

Continuously Owned & Operated by the Veniero Family since 1894

Veniero’s Pastry Shop and Caffé, located at 342 East 11th Street (between 1st and 2nd Avenue)
New York, NY 10003

Having just past its 115 Year Anniversary, this famous landmark was established in 1894 by its founder, Antonio Veniero. When he operated his establishment, it was a pool emporium and caffé where he served his baked products to his customers. Later, the demand fo his Italian pastries and cakes won him awards in Rome, Bolognia, and at the New York World’s Fair.

Today the Pastry shop and caffé has many of its original details, including hand stamped metal ceilings, specially designed etched glass doors, highly polished wood mirrors, and ornate marble floors (which has since been restored after almost a century of wear).

Upon entering the pastry shop, you are greeted by a wonderful display of traditional and regional Italian confections, a vast variety of large an miniature pastries, and assortments of hand-made Italian butter cookies. Take in the aroma of the freshly baked biscotti (Italian biscuits) as well as the traditional cheese cakes and specialty cakes. A full 40 feet of ecstacy for the dessert lover!