View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 09:01 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw View Post
It's been a long time since I was there. You've seriously burst my canoli bubble.

Their FB page shows the bakers from mobile pics taken just last week. They are Italian.

So this blurb on their site is a lie?

Quote:
Four Generations of Quality Baking

Continuously Owned & Operated by the Veniero Family since 1894

Veniero’s Pastry Shop and Caffé, located at 342 East 11th Street (between 1st and 2nd Avenue)
New York, NY 10003
Hmm... I just saw the Youtube video with the owner.

Not sure about that Chinese phase. I was there a few times a couple of years ago (company wanted to go there), and every single person behind the counter was from the far east. And the quality of the pastry sucked. None of us finished his/her slice of cake. Seriously???

Then, I was driving through 11th street many times, and automatically looking inside to check it out. After all, I was a regular. It was almost empty many times.

I don't know the story, but maybe the owners took it back. Maybe they took a partner in and then bought him out. Maybe they sold and then re-bought when the other guy lost business. Who knows. But I'm looking at the quote of the blurb and if you look at it with somewhat suspicious eyes.. Let me ask you that: When do you see people say "Continuously Owned & Operated by.."?? Why the emphasis? You'd normally see "Since 1984". Or "Family owned since 1894". But these 2 words, "Continuously" and then "owned AND OPERATED". Why do they feel the need to say "continuously"? I think it's definitely to overcome rumors and impressions shared by people like me, who saw differently. And why adding not only Owned, but And Operated? It is obviously they didn't operate it.

Anyway, hopefully it is back to its core tradition. Maybe they learned a painful lesson. I hope.