View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 10:53 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Good point, will do. I've only had 1 flat my entire life (knocks wood) so it's not something I think that much about but you're right. I'm thinking that a tow truck could come with a donut just to get me mobile, no?

BJ
My experience with BMW Assist and a (non OEM) flat tire.

I had an incident a few years ago which was documented in "The Straw That Broke The Captain's Back" thread in the E9x forum. As you are aware I replaced the RFTs with Go-Flats when the car was a few weeks old. I was on the Sawmill Parkway in Yonkers when the tire pressure warning light came on. I pulled off the road and found that the left year tire was flat. I tried inflating it with my Conti Comfort Kit and the tire would not hold air. I tried again using the sealant and the sealant came oozing out of a large tear on the sidewall and the tire would still not hold air. I called AAA (I had the standard service at the time) and they told me that since the tire would not hold air, could not be plugged, and I did not have a spare they would tow me to the nearest AAA garage. Now I would have to find a way to get back to my home in Manhattan and back to Yonkers to pick up the car once the tire was replaced (and I had no idea how long that would take). I then called BMW Assist who said they would tow me to the nearest BMW Center (BMW Manhattan on West 57th Street). This seemed like a better solution so I asked them to dispatch a tow truck. I called BMW Manhattan and told them I was having the car towed there and needed a new tire. BMW Manhattan told me the only tire they could sell me was one of the original Bridgestone RFTs. After a 2 hour wait a tow truck that had been dispatched by BMW assist arrived. The driver offered to tow me to his shop which was on 12th Ave. in Manhattan (which I am sure was a violation of BMW Assist policy). His shop would order me a new tire (Pirelli P_Zero Nero M&S - non RFT). My car was winched on to the flatbed truck and I rode in the cab with the driver to the shop on 12th Ave. They put the car up on a l ift and I could see that the other rear tire had a tear where you could see the cord and also needed to be replaced. They ordered two new tired and I had to pay top dollar since I was a captive audience. The tires were set to arrive in two days but UPS screwed up the delivery and the order had to be replaced. The car was in the shop for a week.

Shortly after that incident I upgraded my AAA membership to Premium. AAA premium will allow one 200 mile tow and up to three 100 mile tows per year. If I knew then what I know now I would have had an AAA Premium membership, had the car towed to Autobahn Service on Park Ave. and had Tire Rack deliver a new tire to them.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 11-29-2012 at 09:50 AM.