View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 12:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatesbox View Post
I'm not sure what a "positive lockdown system" means in this application. With the forks mounted, the bike does not move. I believe the OEM system had a long rail that the rear wheel sat in, perhaps this is what you are referring to. Link a pic if you get a chance. The rack is not listed as compatible with 2011+. I was not able to verify this as fact! But there are several other threads pondering this conundrum as well as other DIY threads. It was a pricey item to purchase just to have it not fit. I believe the luggage rails on the F25 have different dimensions.
Sorry, I read over your description too quickly. Now I see you've secured the crossbar on both sides to the rails with your mounting system -- that's what I meant by "positive lockdown system".

The OEM uses two crossbars, one for the fork, the other to secure the track which holds the rear wheel. It might be a little more secure than what you devised, but yours seems more secure than installing the E83 accessory where it is attached only to the right railing (as shown in the picture posted and linked in this thread where someone installed the E83 BMW accessory in the F25). I think that picture proves that the old interior rack is not compatible in the new X3 without modifications or compromises.

I can look for a picture of my interior rack if you're still interested.