Thread: 328i test drive
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 01:06 AM
Button Pusher

Send a message via Yahoo to AK
Mein Auto: '10 C2S, '04 4Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
The technology package is great. I have no problem seeing the HUD, even if it is dimmed with my Maui Jim polarized sunglasses. When you get used to seeing your speed, navigation turn, iTunes tracks, etc, displayed on the windscreen it seems completely barbaric to go back to looking down at the instruments or over at the LCD for these things.

Tech package also makes it so that you can stream audio from your BT phone wirelessly, as well as get album art, Pandora, etc, on the center screen when the phone is plugged in.

Got a text message on your commute? Simply read it right on the large display.

Why even enter directions on the BMW Nav? You can use their app on your iPhone to look up an address with google and then beam it to the car where it shows up in the nav system a minute or so later. It's awesome.

All of this is a helluva lot safer than jacking around with a smart phone with an itty bitty display while you are supposed to be driving.

The tech package is the best option next to adaptive m suspension as far as I am concerned.

I don't agree on the "cheapness" interior comments either. The interior on the F30 is just a mild notch below that on the F10, which is itself at least two-three notches above even a well appointed E90. I don't know about you but I don't spend time in my ride tapping on the plastics to see how solid they feel. I do observe how the textured materials feel to the hand, how the interior itself looks, how airy it feels, etc.

Maybe you drove a car with base no-lines interior. Those look noticeably cheaper than the sport, luxury or modern line interiors.
With an Android smartphone, all you have to do is push the search button and say something like "Navigate to Irvine BMW, Irvine, California". The phone takes care of the rest. This is easier and faster than using any navigation method offered by the Tech Package. Furthermore, you will never need to get a costly map database update at the dealer.

The other Tech Package goodies like Pandora and Bluetooth Audio Streaming don't mean much to me. I've tried using BT streaming before; it sounds like s*** because it uses an aggressive lossy compression algorithm on the audio.

Technical gadgets go obsolete quickly; we trade in our smartphones every year or two for a far improved model. Given the nature of how this works, I'd actually prefer *less* gadgetry in my car because I *don't* trade them in every year like I do my phone. The navigation system in my 335i is so dated that I rarely every use it anymore; I normally use my phone instead. Similarly, there will come a day in the not too distant future where all the stuff in the Technology Package becomes useless as well. Remember all those E38s and E39s from the late '90s that had the integrated analog cell phones and how we laugh when we see them today?

We'll have to agree to disagree on the interior (design and material quality). I do admit that the loaner I drove was a base model (no lines) but it did have leather as a standalone option.

I really *want* to like the F30 because my E90 is getting close to six years old now and I would love to schedule another Euro Delivery but I'm really having a hard time doing so..