View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 11:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMLLC View Post
Ouch....I am going to estimate it's 8-9500 to fix correctly. Its an aluminum door if I remember correctly, plus straightening out each side of the door well/frame, and a whole repaint.

Not a bad idea about leasing bc of resale value if you get hit. Never thought about that. For me, a lease always seemed like a waste, your locked into a car for a set # of miles, and you have nothing at the end of it. Do many of you lease for tax reasons?
I'll post the estimate later on once I get it. Maybe it'll be useful down the line to someone. Door well is kinda bent out of shape and they said it'll go on some frame straightening machine after they heat it up! Definitely not the kind of crap I'd want done to a car I own, but I can deal with it for the year left on my lease unless I really notice some kind of different driving dynamic from the whole process. On the plus side, this car barely moved when it was hit and didn't even leave the lane. Really didn't even make that much of a sound inside the cabin. Part of this could have been attributed to the volume at which 2 Chainz was playing.

Leasing definitely has its benefits but its not always the best for every situation, i.e. if you're going to keep it for 5 years, do some mods, or put lots of miles on it. Mine does happen to be under my business and results in a bigger write off than if I owned it. The depreciation method on business vehicles has an annual limit that can get in the way of expensing luxury vehicles, whereas with a lease you can directly expense the payment for whatever portion of business use.

2013 750i Mineral White
Previous Bimmers:
2011 750i Jet Black
2007 750i Monaco Blue