View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 02:54 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by av98 View Post
Does this confirm my 7/10ths or higher DHP comment?

Sorry my purpose was not to bash on the DHP, just to clarify what you really get with it and what it's not meant for.
I've repeated this information many, MANY times. I've driven the same road (Deer/Turkey Creek Canyon in Colorado, which each contain at least 20 or more very tight turns bordering on hairpins), which is a challenging road that I am familiar with with the following F30 cars;

1. My 328xi DHP equipped car
2. Dealer 328i with sport suspension
3. Dealer 335i with stock suspension

And the following "other" vehicles;

1. Yamaha R1
2. Suzuki SV650
3. 2000 A4 1.8t Quattro sport
4. 2004 A4 1.8T Quattro ultra-sport
5. 2011 Audi S4 Quattro 6MT without LSD.

My opinion is that for the driving that I did, the DHP did as well, if not better than the sport suspension and is definitely a more comfortable daily driver when it is put in non-sport mode and driven over harsh city streets or rough sections of highway.

Is my opinion as qualified as yours? Maybe, or maybe not. Others, including journalists, BMW sales people at events, etc, have also commented that the DHP suspension is excellent. Not a single automotive journalist who drove the DHP equipped car ONCE said that the suspension was inferior to the sport suspension in any way, that it lagged, etc.

I am not a professional driver. I don't take the race line on public roads because I've seen the bad outcomes that can happen (fellow motorcyclists being medivacced out by helicopter after pushing it too hard and getting into a wreck) when people treat public streets like a private track. I do consider myself an "above average" driver/rider who has been to a few track events.

For someone who is more performance oriented than I am and pushes their car very hard, then perhaps you are right, that the DHP is not good enough for those enthusiasts. Also, as I point out, some people THINK that they are better drivers than they are. I also know one driver who was a very very good driver, who still got killed because he did not understand that you can't drive on the street like you do at the track.

Last edited by voip-ninja; 11-29-2012 at 02:59 PM.