View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 03:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3
UncleJ welcome to the party! I knew you would say that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reytran View Post
Thanks all for the detail. IMO, the X3 looks good except the tail light. Still hard to like it, but looks really excellent overall. Do you guys know the average miles to rebuild/replace the tranny?

I think that's NorCal Price. Pretty cheap though. I checked in SoCal it's about 28k to get 09-10. However, 09 and 10 is not my choice due to, I'm willing to pay extra to get 11 for new design. My choice actually from 04 till 08 which lie under 20k.
I was basing prices off of what I have seen...keep in mind 2010s are extremely rare (less that 5000 imported to the states). In addition most 09s are coming out of warranty and all BMWs take a huge depreciation hit at that point. Most I have seen are around 50 to 60k miles and are in the low to mid 20s. Lower milage cars/CPO are still closer to 30k but I assumed that wasn't your market.

For your tranny question, a rebuilt unit is about $4k to $7k depending on who installs it. There are no rebuild kits that I am aware of because although this is a GM tranny it has very little in common with other GM tranny's.

IMHO an ounce of prevention helps here. I change fluid roughly ever 30k miles.....but you never truly know or can predict when an auto will fail. One guy might get 200k without changing fluid another might get 90k with 3 fluid changes. That is the randomness you have if you want an auto....any auto. If that's a fear search for a MT.

In my past life I got 300k on a gm 4l60e on a gmc pickup following 30k mile fluid changes. However that isn't the norm...autos are like a box of chocolate...you never know what your gonna get...

With that said....for the most part outside of those 2007 and early 2008 with tranny issues....we don't hear a lot of horror stories in tranny wear. The transfer case actuator is far more prone to failure.

Last edited by x3brian; 11-29-2012 at 05:19 PM.