View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 05:03 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
I have a leak. Tranny or oil??

Hey, y'all. I have a small leak. I just noticed it recently. 2006, 330i, step, 84,800 miles.

Is the transmission fluid in our autos pink? This fluid isn't pink, but at 85k miles it might not be very pink anymore. Looks more like oil, but I think the consistency is lighter. I can't get a feel for what it might be from the smell. I don't think it has any burnt smell to it.

It is a little more than seepage. It is a very, very slow drip. Dripping from the underbody panel, so I can't tell exactly where it's coming from. It's dripping from the back of the panel, not the oil drain access panel.

The car has been parked for about six weeks, not driven. There is a wet spot under it. Drove it today. I'm guessing about four to eight ounces may have dripped based on the size of the spot.

The oil level reads completely full. Looked under the hood with a bright florescent light. No sign of the slightest bit of seepage at the head or anywhere else.

I'm inclined to think mechatronic sleeve. Thoughts?

I'm planning to drive 1,000 miles tomorrow and the next day to Texas. I'll be there through December, so I can have it addressed while I'm there. Thoughts on making the drive?

Thanks.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 11-29-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Advertisement