View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 08:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Here's the problem...

iPods are NOT in any way obscure. However, the problem is in the many different iterations of the iPod. Of the 30pin connector variety, there are several that are not fully 100% compatible depending on the generation of iPod. Then of course, there is the new 19pin connector that also causes headaches for compatibility.

Ahh, but ignorance of these details should be BMW's responsibility? I forget how Apple's changes to hardware might be the responsibility of the car manufacturer...

Then on top of that, let's also make note of the fact that what and how an iPod is compatible is also dictated by the level of equipment in each varying audio package (or lack thereof). USB/Bluetooth has varying levels of compatibility compared to the standard iPod connector and also whether or not the vehicle is equipped with navigation.

Ignorance of these items should also be BMW's responsibility?

As someone else posted earlier, the Y-connector is not absolutely necessary to use an iPod with a BMW. (You know, I've been using my iPod without a Y-connector all this time! I should get a free one too!!)

In any case, I doubt anyone else would care that you left a vehicle brand because you couldn't figure out how to get an iPod to play nice with a car.

By all means, continue to feel entitled to your iPod cable. Justify that with all your arguments about how they should bend over backwards for you because you bought a(4) BMW(s) or whatever service or extras they should provide for you because you bought a BMW. In fact, I think everyone should go to their dealers and stamp their feet with pouty faces for free cables and stuff because they bought a BMW and they should have what's in that other car!

People will continue to buy cars to drive in. The world will keep turning.