View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 09:18 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
I knew I should of made that empty road a track. :P How do you get a mid-engined car to let go of the rear end? It's so balanced I don't think I'd have the skill to get the rear end to let go.
Caymans are very well balanced and very neutral so your comment about feeling like it was on rails is very accurate unless you are driving the car at 10/10th. The limits on a Cayman are so high that driving at 10/10ths on the street is both irresponsible and suicidal.

It is possible to induce oversteer (hopefully MILD overteer ) in a mid engine car by trail braking. By "trailing" off the brakes as the car corners the car can be rotated. This technique is called tail brake rotation and requires practice in a controlled environment where the consequences of the inevitable spins that you will have while learning will not be catestrophic.

Trail Braking>>
The trail braking technique is an advanced braking technique that racing drivers use to go faster through corners. Instead of completing the braking sequence before the corner, you brake later and combine the last bit of braking with the turning-in part.>>
When turning into the corner while braking, the weight is still resting on the front tires. This increases front grip and decreases rear grip, so that you can induce a little more rear slip angle than front slip angle. (oversteer)>>
This braking technique has several advantages:>>
You can brake later.>>
Normally youd already be going steady on the throttle, but since you are still on the brakes front to rear weight balance is easier to adjust.>>
Due to braking, the weight shifts forward so front grip increases, allowing you to turn harder into the corner.>>
Rather than relying on the steering you can brake your way into the corner. You rotate the back-end of the car (oversteer) so that you will have to steer less when going in, and coming out of the corner.>>
Trail braking requires very precise brake balance control and is definitely not a braking technique for the novice. Due to the high speed its really dangerous to practice. Mistakes will immediately be punished, usually with serious consequences.>>

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians