Thread: uh oh!
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 08:39 AM
Properly chastised re: Xi

Mein Auto: 2005 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cshanson325i View Post
The fan had come apart into 1,000,000 pieces and destroyed a few things: fan shroud, p/s pulley, trans cooler and later found out, the radiator.
I would think the transmission suffered severe damage since its oil (fluid) leaked out when the cooler was punctured. I'm guessing the damage began before you reached the traffic light when you noticed the issue. Even after refilling it, the damage was done, though it may not have been apparent while sitting in the driveway and not under load/use. It's important to note that transmission fluid not only provides the means of transferring power but also cooling the internal parts -- without the cooling, the transmission's parts (friction plates especially) get cooked rather fast.

A tranny rebuild can set you back anywhere from $1,000 to $2,500 from a competent independent shop, depending on local prices are and how strong a warranty you want.

I've had two transmissions rebuilt over the years ('89 Nissan Sentra and '03 Chevy Venture) and neither were flawless after the rebuild but both ran like champs nonetheless.

Good luck!