View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 09:06 AM

Mein Auto: X5, M5, 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGriffin View Post
I have the same issue (220,000.) Mine are about 10 degree off and cannot adjust camber to fix. I am going to purchase another set of control arms and modify them. I have not checked but wonder if the arm can be heated and reduce the bend in the arm to fix the problem. If not, I plan on cutting them and welding in some sort of adjustment (fixed or bolt adjusting.)
RGriffin -- Ah ha ! Someone with similar mileage and the same problem !

Which control arms are you buying -- lower or upper or both ? The uppers have bends in them. I suspect that if you heat them they'll lose some structural strength. I was thinking that if the hole in the bracket for the lower control arm / camber adjustment bolt could be filed and elongated, the camber could be pulled back into something more reasonable. The resulting gap would need some weld or something to stop the camber bolt from sliding back.

Keep me posted ! If you do manage to cut & weld, I'll send you another set for mods .

HPIA4v2 -- yes, BMW looked at it, pushed and pulled at the wheels and didn't say that there was excessive play in those ball joints. As a matter of fact, I have the ball joints because I bought a package of parts, but they looked like a bear to install and BMW said that those alone wouldn't account for the problem.