Thread: 328i test drive
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 09:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioK View Post
Absolutely NOTHING dates a modern car like an in-dash NAV system. It's like a technology time capsule.

I'll probably go through three or four smartphones and even more Apps during the lifetime of my car. I can't see myself using the same system the entire lifespan. Plus, that polarized issue would drive me bonkers.
I agree. If you look at the nav on a MB form 3yrs ago it's such a depressing sight. I've said for the longest BMW should go android... customers will be thrilled. Give the people free updates to a system that has professionals working on it round the clock. It's not so much the hardware, its the software. In about 5 yrs, maybe even less the idrive in the F30 will look like crap... the navigation currently isn't even that great as far as presentation. That being said, I still wouldn't get my F30 w/o it personally. At the end of the day the nav gets ou from point A to B. If ou opt for no nav, the idrive will still be dated regardless and someone on the market for an F30 yrs from now will still probably prefer nav over non nav on the same dated idrive. Not that i'm ordering a car for its future driver, but it wont be as detremential in the future as you might think. i also prefer to have my phone free when i'm driving while playing music and having the nav lower the volume to give turn by turns. this system works exactly how I want.

I'm an apple user but I believe android would be perfect to replace idrive.