View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 10:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 323i, Ducati M1100
Went to the dealership for an oil change...

I have a 2000 323i with ~135,000 on the clock...

A few weeks ago, I recieved a flyer in the mail from the local BMW dealership. $80 for an oil change, and $40 for extra sundries to what amounted to a Jiffy Lube Signature Service oil change, including replacing the cabin filter. I knew I could get everything done for less, but I thought "What the hell, it's an ok deal" plus I just wanted a BMW tech to look at my car...

So I pull into the service lane, and am greeted by a service writer. I show him the flyer and he says "Well, we'll honor that price, of course, but we usually charge a LOT more". A couple minutes later, he shows me a piece of paper quoting the usual price: $350.00 and some change... Wow!

So I'm sitting in the (slightly pretentious) waiting room when the service writer comes in and gives me an estimate for parts and labor:

$796.00 Oil Filter Housing gasket (Oil is leaking onto the block)
$610.00 Front Rotors and pads (I already knew that was going to be the case)
$323.00 Rear Tires are at minimum spec (Had an idea that was the case)
$180.00 Alignment (Had an idea that was the case)
$190.00 Rear Diff service (That was a little surprise)
$165.00 Power Steering Fluid exchange (That was a little surprise)
$165.00 Coolant Fluid exchange (This one is totally unnecessary as I replaced my radiator earlier this year)
$430.00 Fuel Filter replacement (This was a little surprise)
$2,859.00

Needless to say, I didn't get those services performed at that moment. I don't piss money, after all... I fully intend to get everything done ASAP (priority being brakes, tires, and alignment). I'm sure there are some DIY videos out there for some stuff, but not really having the place to work on my car, I'm a little stuck with going to and indy, or finding friends of friends that can do sidework. I think it's safe to say that I can get everything done for less than half of what I was quoted at the dealership.

I guess I just wanted to share my experience and get a little input on their quote... any thoughts?
Advertisement