View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 04:40 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by briangl92 View Post
Infield a complaint several months ago and was never contacted in response. It would seem like this issue is a cut and dry case of a design flaw that creates a safety hazard and would therefore warrant a recall. My driver's side headlight has gotten so bad that you can see a brown haze in the projector lens when the light is on. The output is terrible.
NHTSA won't respond to a complaint, but they should respond to a "petition." There should be sufficient details in a petition to give NHTSA something to "bite" on. Such details may include (name redacted) comments from this web sit, other web sites regarding the light problem and references to complaints already filed. NHTSA's main concern would be the safety hazards associated with the defect.

From NHTSA's web site on "petitions":

Any person may submit a petition requesting NHTSA to open an investigation into an alleged safety defect. After conducting a technical analysis of such a petition, ODI informs the petitioner whether it has been granted or denied. If the petition is granted, a defect investigation is opened. If the petition is denied, the reasons for the denial are published in the Federal Register. Similarly, a person may submit a petition requesting NHTSA to hold a hearing on whether a manufacturer has reasonably met its obligation to notify and/or remedy a safety defect or noncompliance with a Federal motor vehicle safety standard. If the petition is granted, a hearing is held to assess the matter and decide what corrective action should be taken. If the petition is denied, the reasons for the denial are published in the Federal Register.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aren't there any lawyers in here willing to do a little pro bono work? ;-)
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA

Last edited by pointandgo; 11-30-2012 at 04:43 PM.