View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 05:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR View Post
Let me suggest a possible explanation: My 2012 X5 35d has Adaptive Drive and normal Pirelli Scorpion Verde 19" tires. The ride of MY X5 is definitely better than the Cayenne GTS I drove, and that one had normal tires (I asked and was told that Porsche does not do run flats) and 21" wheels. The handling part is simply the roll of the Cayenne that my X5 does not exhibit plus the extra light steering at low speeds that felt unnatural to me - perhaps exacerbated by the heavy steering of the X5 at low speeds. As far as the power curve/delivery for every day driving it is simply that. My X5 has tremendous torque at low rpm and the Cayenne GTS does not. When approaching the Golden Gate south on 101 there is a long climb where the GTS had to hit 4000 rpm before it started pulling and my X5 feels like there is no hill at all - it pulls that hard at just about anything over idle. Lastly I have never owned BMWs in my life until now because I always thought they were overpriced cars with cheap interiors and subpar paint jobs so there goes the possible fan*** reason for my comments
I find this rather surprising but I never have driven a GTS since quite honestly never could bring myself to pay so much for an SUV. I can easily see though how the X5d low entering and peaking torque would be magnitudes better for such situations. But I'd thought a GTS had an aggressive power band to it that would not make it such a "slug" in that situation.