View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 09:11 AM
Car guy

Mein Auto: E39 M5/E70 X5 M sport
I was hot for the painted flares and knew they were vulnerable. So the thicker 3m film was part of the plan from the git go. The alternative was mud guards, which might also look okay too. But I wanted a cleaner look (I opted for no running boards - which would probably go better with mud guards). Anyway, there were like 30+ pieces including some big ones for nose. With the thick film it was very hard to handle. Installer I used was experienced with the product and did a lot of wrestling to get it on.

Note I took delivery in November of last year and the work was done inside a heated shop. Brought up to temperature overnight, took nearly a day to install, and sat inside for another day. Even still a few days later, remember it was cold - installer was located at bottom of attitash mtn, some edges feathered out. Residual water underneath suspected. Anyway, 3m and installer stood behind product and labor. Entirely replaced the 30 pieces, no charge.

Did it removal on a hot day last August and the old came off without ant paint.

Anyway, very happy with product, installer and results. No chips anywhere at 28xxx miles.

Pm me if you want installer details. He is in North Conway, NH.

Scar (holdover from Audi phase 1991-2003)

Current options:
2012 X5 50 Msport carbon/oyster (daily driver)
2007 328 XI Sportwagon (wife)
2003 M5 chiaretto/silverstone (only for fun)
2006 Suburban 2500 (last of the truly tough off road 'burbs)
2007 4Runner Sport (for tight places)
2002 Silverado 3500 pickup (mule)