View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 10:17 AM

Mein Auto: BMW x5
04 BMW X5 sport 75K

I couldn't describe my problem any better either! I have a 04 X5 4.4 ( 75K ) and it does the exact same thing. I have been told that it can only be two things, the CCV's or valve stem seals. The CCv's were replaced about 1000 miles ago but the problem still exists. I was told by a Indy mechanic ( that said he works on 10 BMWs a day, and inspected it) that it is definately not the valve stem seals. He said the engine gets sludge in it from the CCV's being bad and it takes a while for it to clear out. He said that it is mostly under the valve covers, I guess there are some kind of oil seperator ports under there or something. He also said the oil drain ports that drain the oil back to the oil pan get clogged and sometimes you have to use brake cleaner to clean them, that sounds like a pile of crap to me. ( I've also heard that you can use Liqui-moly )
Anyway, I can assure you that when I thought I purchased a high quality vehicle and it smokes like it does I don't wear my BMW hat! Actually the reason I bought it is because I have owned a 95 325i for 9 years that has over 100k and have not had a single issue.
I have a question for someone with knowledge....when I disconnect the hose that leads from the CCV to the intake and put my finger in it, there is a thick film of oil on my finger when I pull it out. Is this normal??? Is that much oil supposed to be getting by the CCV? I wouldn't think so but haven't been able to get an answer. The oil on my finger was very clean which I thought was interesting since it had been changed about 200 miles ago. I looked up the records and the oil had been changed every 15k since new. That seems like alot of miles since oil changes but have been told its BMWs recommendation.
Incidently, I have a friend that has a 04 X5 with the same mileage that smokes too. difference it his smokes on startup mine doesn't. His is really bad. Any answers????