View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 11:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Shame....

Having obtained driver's licenses on both sides of the Atlantic pond, I must say it's way too easy to get one on this side! At least in Connecticut, one is required to answer 12 out of 16 questions correctly, coupled with a 5-minute drive, typically around your local DMV, and you have yourself a freshly-minted driver's license. And the demolition derby begins...

In contrast, the other side of the pond required me to answer 120 questions, with an allowance for a total of 3 mistakes. But that wasn't even the hardest part. A long drive ensued...about 30 min of city driving with all sorts of challenging scenarios, which culminated in another 30 minutes of highway driving, of course in a car with a manual transmission.

Needless to say, 20/30% of applicants failed the written test or the driving part, on their 1st attempt.

End result: Better drivers on the roads and a whole lot LESS accidents. The stats are there to prove it.

Make of this what you will...I am extra vigilant each time I drive and have avoided lots of troubles. Looking around at other drivers is always scary however, and it's not the applying of make up or shaving, or even reading books in traffic that bothers me, it's how indicative it is of a total lack of situational awareness and common sense.

In closing, for as long as I can afford to, I will drive German cars just for the additional level of safety they provide.

Alex