View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 06:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
Exclamation BMW Navigation Sucks

I bought the navigation option on my 2011 535. I did not have any complaints with the system until I retired and began to travel across the USA. The system's reliability was terrible. After numerous incidents (>100) where I was missing or provided with incorrect routing information in addition to numerous incidents where I was directed to the wrong address, my dealer updated my software to the latest version free of charge. The update did not correct the problems.

I was told BMW switched to the same navigation system used by Cadillac and Lexus on the 2012 models. My dealer traded me into a 2012 535 in an effort to resolve my extreme dissatisfaction with an unreliable navigation system. The navigation system on the 2012 model has been improved, it still does not compare to my $150 Garmin. Based upon my experience, you should not expect BMW to stand behind the warranty on their navigation system. They seem to be more interested in selling software updates than providing their customers with a reliable product. I will never buy another new car without a written promise to provide annual updates to the navigation system software. (My $150 Garmin came with lifetime updates!)

FYI - - - navigation problems include the following items:
1. No verbal instructions provided when traveling through interstate highway interchanges and when changing the route from one interstate highway onto an intersecting interstate highway
2. Missed destination (manually entered address) - - - range from 400 feet up to 2.5 miles
3. Missed destination (destination selected from "Points of Interest" in the navigation system menu)
3. Unable to load destination (system does not recognize the address)

I still travel with my $150 Garmin in order to avoid these problems on my 2012 535i. It seems kind of stupid to stick a Garmin to the windshield of the car but the BMW organization has not shown any ability to resolve the issues.

Last edited by jhatmchsi; 12-01-2012 at 07:05 PM.