View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 04:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 435i GC pending
My wife and I have been looking at a replacement car for her and took the X3 for an extensive test drive yesterday. However I have had several BMW's and will provide my input to your questions (below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennk View Post
I test drove the X3 earlier today and was fully impressed. Never thought I'd be interested in a true SUV (SAV)! So, here comes the pesky questions:

1. I've looked at the government fuel economy ratings between the two engines (21/28 vs 19/26), but they are usually far off from reality. Are they closer in economy in the real world? .....Agree with the previous poster, it will vary depending on driving habits and conditions. I have read from others where they were getting low 30's for highway driving.

2. Did you purchase the x28 model and regret not getting the x35? ....We only test drove the x28i but I have experience with the x35i in other models. If I was the primary driver, without question I would opt for the x35i. However I love power and acceleration. For most uses the x28 would be a good choice.

3. Dealer is telling me if I get my order in this week, that they can get it from the factory by end of year. Sound right? .....This statement echos what my CA told me. However our timeline is to have the X3 by early April. Point being, there doesn't seem to be any lag with production and shipment.

4. Dealer is saying I should be willing to pay the average rate from TrueCar. Seems a bit high and don't really want to go much over $800 over invoice. Plus, I've got discounts coming in from military and holiday discounts....A range of $500-$800 over invoice minus any incentives, IMO, would be reasonable. It is not a new release or the hottest SUV/SAV on the market. Be professional and respectful during the negotiations but hold your ground.

5. With #4 said, I have a trade in. Trying to balance out everything to get the best offer. Recommendations?....Agree with the previous poster, keep the number separate (new vs. trade-in). Research ahead to get an average number by looking up the value from KBB and Edmunds.

6. I've heard of hiring folks online to manage the entire car buying process for a fee. Thoughts?....Don't bother as the broker would receive a commission. Simply be well informed and confident in your approach. I would also recommend contacting one of the forum sponsors as thee would give you an honest (if not the best) price.

Thx!