Thread: 2003 ZHP Camber
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 08:45 AM
ZHP = Patlabor

Mein Auto: Mini Clubmn,Odyssey,Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by QAfred View Post
BMW tech told me as long as you stick with stock set-up you will not have excess tire wear. He claimed the issue is; that most shops do not ballast the car, and therefore you cannot get an accurate toe adjustment. He said he has noticed that camber was not impacted as much as toe was once the car had the prescribed ballast installed and stated without the ballast toe will be out, especially in the rear, and abnormal tire wear will result.

The Hunter alignment machine automatically brings up the spec on all cars and it too states to load the E-46's with ballast. Firestone tech told me they won't buy it for him so when asked by the machine if ballast is installed he pushes the yes button and drives on...hence the error in toe and camber- since BMW says you are tricking yourself/the machine if you think you are going to get a good alignment without ballast.
+1, both the alignment shops I go to add the ballasts from spec to make sure the car's load is properly balanced. As for toe adj, don't forget that this will also affect turn-in.