View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 10:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E85 M-Roadster, E82 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluhwein View Post
Still love my 2012 128i convert, but really po'd about the crap tires BMW put on the car.

We did European Delivery last February and rented snow tires in Germany from John Lance (excellent experience). Back here in the US I have put 7200 miles on the car minus the 800 plus miles we did on the German snows. Yesterday I decided to "save" the original expensive Goodyear Eagle NCT 5 Runflats by buying cheaper Nettos (?) to use until I return the car at lease end. The NTB guys told me those damn Eagles were already down to 3/100 on the rear. And I drive like a spirited old lady - no burn-outs, below 80 mph and in an area with relatively cool temps. At that rate, I'd need 4 sets of rear tires by the end of my lease. Unacceptable. Anyone else similarly dissatisfied?
Did you measure the tyre tread depth yourself, or is the tyre guy trying to make a sale? Tread depth measurement is in mm or 1/32" increments, a new summer tyre starts with about 8mm (10/32"), so '3/100' is not a normal measurement. With a summer tyre (run flat or not) 20,000 miles is about the maximum life, our 135i is getting about 15,000km (9,000 miles) to a set of summer tyres with spirited driving, both OEM Bridgestone RE050A runflat or Michelin Pilot Super Sport non-runflat.