View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 03:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock 32 View Post
Shawn,

Per your instrcutions: 10) Run "C:\EC-Apps\ESG\E-Sys\E-Sys.exe"...

However, the shortcut that is created on the desktop during the e-sys install points to "E-sys.bat" in that same folder. The .bat file seems to setup alot of options (e.g. memory setting, etc.) and paths that does not overide any of the parameters we put into the settings following your directions):

-----partial example of e-sys.bat file content:
SET ESYS_DATA_PATH=%ESYS_DATA_PATH:\:=:%
SET ESYS_DATA_PATH=%ESYS_DATA_PATH:\\=\%

set JAVA_HOME=%~dp0jre
set PATH=%JAVA_HOME%\bin;%PATH%;C:\EDIABAS\Bin;C:\EC-Apps\EDIABAS\Bin

cd /D %~dp0lib\environment

:startEsys
rem VM arguments
set OPTION_THREAD=-XX:ThreadStackSize=1024
set OPTION_ENDORSED=-Djava.endorsed.dirs=..\xml
set OPTION_MEMORY=-Xmx512m
set OPTION_JMX=-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote
set OPTION_GC=-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode
---See actual .bat file attached for remainder---

Should I set the shortcut to point to the .exe file instead so as to not run the .bat file?

I clicked on the desktop icon (starting using the .bat file) for the first run and then made the following changes per your install instructions (which are still there if I start with the .bat file or the .exe file):

On the PROGRAM TAB, set the Directories - Data Path to C:\ESysData
On the EST Tab, set the Developer-Soft-Token EST Path to "C:\ESysData\e-sys est\Code Away.est"
On the ODX Tab, set the ODX Rule Path to "C:\ESysData\Rules"

I would think we would want to run the .bat file provided with the e-sys install that the shortcut points to for other e-sys default settings, but then we would not be following your instructions exactly as written. Probably does not matter either way...

Question #1: but it would be nice to know if there is a specific reason to bypass the .bat file provided with the e-sys install or if it just does not matter either way?

Question #1A: If I shouldn't be using the .bat file, did I accidentlly change some option that I shouldn't have like the memory setting of 512m that my e-sys is set to even if starting with the .exe file (e.g. should I do a re-install and this time not use the e-sys.bat file / desktop shortcut to start e-sys ever and only use the e-sys.exe in which case I will change the target in the shortcut to the .exe file)?

Question #2: On another subject, I assume it is OK to delete the extracted install folder "E-Sys_EST_PIN" once I have completed all steps of the installation or will I need other files in there readily available during coding (I did keep the original compressed / *.rar files as downloaded in case of a need to re-install)?
I have never used the .bat file to launch E-Sys, and I really do not think after looking at it that it makes any difference whether you launch E-Sys with the .bat or the .exe. file.

I would not worry either about the .bat file changing the default E-Sys settings, as it won't. The .bat file should just be session specific.

You can delete anything that the instruction does not specify it be copied and put in use or is left behind after doing so.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips