View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 07:26 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 645ci
Hi Gebhardt,

Apparently the coolant leak is within the engine (needing cap with seal repair / expanding coolant pipe fix required possibly) but I'll have to go back and check what BMW last told me. Thanks for reminding me, I'll have to check that before Wed. The leak isn't so noticeable as prior leaks I have had i.e. once every 2 weeks I have to top up the coolant a little bit.

Oil leak - apparently was leaking in 3 places (somewhere near alternator, oil filter and oil plug was loose (how does that get magically loose?) ). Oil filter / plug have been taken care of, the major oil leak however being apparently somewhere in the region of the alternator and needs engine removal apparently. So left side of the engine. I have to fill up with 1 to 2 L of engine oil every few days now, so it is pretty severe. I say apparently a lot because at the moment I am relying on everyone else to tell me whats up, hence its time I pay more attention to diagnosing what I can myself from now on.

I had gearbox sump replaced a year and a half ago and topped up. I don't think that is a problem for now.

I'd like to buy some kind of blocks to raise my car up so I can get dirty and start inspecting this stuff, or rent a thing with a pit for half a day. But I really need to be educated about this stuff first, I am a complete newbie. I did download the N62 manual, am reading that, and I do know more than before, but if I walk into any garage, I am like a deer in the headlights if thats the right expression.

Cheers,

SharkyClark