View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 06:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X1
I guess I took a chance, but I just got home from an ED for a RWD X1. The car has the sport package which includes 18" run flat tires. The tires are 225/45/18 Pirelli M+S P7 All Season tires. I made no arrangements for winter tires, opting instead to run around in the all season tires. It did, indeed, snow almost every day I was in Germany and yet I had zero trouble whatsoever. Not even as much as a single traction loss. We even did Garmisch, Mittenwald, and Fussen on two separate occasions where there was "Heavy Snow" according to weather forecasts. In every case the car drove perfectly. Not trying to sway anyone's decision to go for winter tires, but I wouldnt worry much about driving from Welt to the winter tire rental location on any sort of tires. They keep the roads in the city very heavily salted so you encounter no ice or snow accumulating on road surfaces.

Pro tip: Bring a wash mit in your luggage with plans to either pack it wet or pitch it after use. My car has filthy (from soil and salt on the roads) and today at drop off they requested that I go wash it. I didn't have a mit, so I did my best with the pressure hose. I was not about to put a brush to her.