View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 09:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 750i
As 2 Chainz would say, "pull up to da scene with my door missing." They started to take the car apart but haven't prepared a full estimate yet. Some of the damaged body components are made of some boron alloy (i think) that they're going to decide if they can even restore them to the original condition within a reasonable amount of time and cost.

Didn't look like all that serious of an accident but I guess these cars are so complicated that repairing them involves a great deal of labor. The manager was a reall nice guy and showed me some of what was going on inside with the other damaged cars. One was a 3 series completely stripped down to its body (both axles removed, every single body panel, most of the enterior) in order to re-form the body/frame back to specs from what didn't look like a very serious accident at all. He stated that the rear compartment of the 7 series is nicknamed "The Vault" because of the strength and thickness of material surrounding it.

This is at a BMW Certified Collision Center. Since it's a lease the insurance company had to pay to send it there. Can't help but wonder what kind of level of repair the car would have received at an everyday body shop. In a Grand Cherokee rental car for now. An owner of a damaged '10 M3 that was over there ended up with a Corolla :/

2013 750i Mineral White
Previous Bimmers:
2011 750i Jet Black
2007 750i Monaco Blue