View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 09:22 AM
Nothing to see here...

Mein Auto: '08 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAI View Post
I have to disagree. Reading about the product and the reviews, it appears to be an emergency use product ( i.e. got caught in a snow storm) and is not intended for the OP's stated use. IMO, I would not trust that product with my car, or my life and the safety of others on the road, when purposefully driving a couple hundred miles in snow. If there was under a 10% chance you would encounter snow, then having the AutoSock would be fine as a low probability of use back-up plan, but anything above that I wold recommend doing it right and have snow tires on.
You are right... If the OP knows for *certain* he will be driving on unplowed snow covered roads for 100 to 200 miles, then winter tires is the *best* option. Only he knows the full and most likely scenario given his planned trip. Most roads, including mountain roads are plowed and treated, in which case all-season tires would be sufficient if the OP was willing to wait until the roads are cleared. If he absolutely must drive through a snow storm to keep to a fixed schedule, then I suggest he rents a Jeep and leaves the e60 at home...