Thread: E39 love
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 03:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandem View Post
-Unless you have any symptoms of VANOS failure, I see no reason to change it unless you want better performance. I know a person with like (150,000? miles) on their M54 and it drives fine with no symptoms.
No major symptoms, no. It does have a slightly rough idle for the first minute or so on warm up, but I expect it's ICV/CCV and or DISA related, going to closely inspect the CCV system next time I'm under the hood. Already subscribed to bluebee's excellent collection thread.

Quote:
The price you pay to fix the VANOS will never be returned on the price you save on the "Increased" fuel economy unless you keep the car for a LONG time or you rack up ridiculous mileage.
I would do the work myself, so the only cost would be the $80 or so for the kit, plus gaskets and oil.

Quote:
I am really getting mixed signals or perhaps I am confused something, but based on what you've said it seems to me you bought the wrong car for your expectations/needs.
I'm sorry, I'm not communicating very well. I often make the mistake that what seems well understood by me, should also be understood by the reader, and it makes for poor communication on my part. When I mentioned fuel economy, in relation to VANOS, it wasn't that I magically expected if I fix the VANOS my car would suddenly get 40MPG. More that it would maximize the potential miles per gallon. That's one of the main reasons why I didn't get a V8, 235hp is way more than I need on US roads, why have to cringe when gas goes over $4 a gallon. Anything over 20MPG was fine by me, my commute is only 30 miles a day, both ways. If fuel economy was my #1 concern, I likely would've gone with a Mazda 5 or another normally aspirated 35-40 MPG car, not hybrid. Don't get me started on hybrids!

Why E39 you ask?? Well, as I mentioned in my intro, my best friend had one. He is VERY particular about his cars, and I respect his opinion. If it was good enough for him, perhaps I should consider one. I had the chance to take an '02 335i for a weekend getaway several years ago and I was VERY impressed. My budget dictated that I buy a used car, 10-13k was my number. I have always liked BMW for their racing heritage and focus on performance and quality over flashy trends. Only until recently does the //M badge connote forced induction, which earns respect from me. I'm getting old now, I don't want to hand crank my windows down or be without AC on the two days a year I need it, I want some luxury when I'm driving, and I think I've earned it. I live in a highly affluent community and I see Merc's all day every day, lotsa bimmers as well. I also get a chance to see some amazing cars during the Concours D' Elegance and historic races at Laguna. For some reason the E39 body style kept percolating to the top of my list whenever I thought of cars I'd like to own. It's the rear quarters, when viewed from the rear, just looks great, IMHO. I think cars should not always be form follows function, but should have some passion and emotion in the design, which the E39 always had for me. The E90 is the only other car I would have considered from the Bavarian stable, but the 5 just kept "singing" to me, if you know what I mean. Once I was committed, it became an obsession, I NEEDED an E39. I outlined my initial purchase flow above and was fortunate enough to find my car on the fifth try. As I mentioned, I LOVE driving it and my biggest initial impression was not something I had anticipated; It's so QUIET inside. I was whispering with my daughter as we drove home from purchase, that's not something I could do in a commuter-can.

Sorry to be so long-winded, I hope that by going into more detail here, it will help to understand me a little bit better and enhance my ability to communicate with my fellow forumites.

Cheers,
John