View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 03:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 330 i
Firstly, big thanks to bimcwe, goforth, and he's the one. Appreciate it.

I went to a local Indy to have him take a look at the car. Since I'm paranoid about getting under the car, I asked for estimates on various fluid changes as wel, in addition to his taking a general look to see whats wrong.

Indy hiked up car and found major greasy oily stuff below on the under carriage. I sort of knew this, and expected it. In the past I have been told that I needed a power steering hose kit, since there was a leak in the power steering fluid.I have in fact been regularly topping up power steering, way more than I should. And also topping up on oil, more than I should.

So the guy at the Indy said something about the rack and pinion being out, along with the power steering pump, and the oil cooler...these terms were brought up often. Estimate given as follows:

Oil change- $95, Brake fluid flush- $ 125, Check differential oil- $50...these figures straight away seem to suggest hes trying to screw me over...Indy mentioned I wont need transmission fluid change...

Power steering pump- $450

Oil Cooler- $ 200

Steering gear- $ 825

Labor- 5hours (including 1.2 hours for wheel alignment)

Total damages- $ 2300!!

Bear in mind, I have been driving the car quite happily..yes power steering leak was definitely something I was aware of, and like I said, I was told it could be fixed for $ 180 in the past! Two questions:

1. Does this sound credible- or does he seeem like a total rip off?I respect good Indy's, and would happily transact with an honest person at fair prices...to be clear. So I'm not looking to screw him...
2. I would like to look up the prices of these parts- any leads?

I will of course search the thread too, for other past views on this, but thought I would quickly post what the indy said. Many thanks for any advise/insights.