View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 08:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post

Wongway..you have way too much time on your hands, Lol.
Does keep life interesting though doesn't it?

If there's anything that I think we've learned in our past experiences with our E83 models, there's a truck ton of information that can be garnered now via "search" that we just didn't have access to in the past. From the E83's transmission programming quirks in the 07-10 models, to things like sunroof issues and the like.

I know simply from reading news reports, car makers are inundated with a host of recalls like Jeep's latest with airbags, Toyota has too many to count or list these days. BMW's had it's share as well with the High Pressure Fuel Pumps. I do recall people on the BMW forums harping over that fuel pump prior to the recall announcement.

Great thing about searching forums like these is that you learn to catch potential issues long before they can effect you sometimes. Take a Google search of Audi and Cam Follower as an example. (I wonder Evlengr, if you ever had an Audi with that problem in your past?) I'd imagine that your past history of vehicles has pretty much told you no car maker is without "quirks" you end up living with. Heck, a lot of the times, you can find and see all the potential issues with new models before jumping in with two feet with your own purchase.

I've dealt with my fair share of quirks in the past with vehicles. Heck, I've got an S550 right now that chews through tires in 8000 miles or less no matter which brand or model of tire I've thrown at it. 16,000 miles and it's on it's 4th set of tires now. From everything I've searched for, it's just something that I'll have to live with being such a heavy car. C'est la vie

As it were, reading, comprehension, research go a long way to figuring out the reason for a lot of things. I'm sure most people have figured this out a long time ago, or else these boards wouldn't be here in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runon MD1 View Post
I don't know how many times or in how many different ways I can say this, but I honestly believe that (1) if a lower-priced model in the same series comes with a part integral to the operation of a commonly used product, the upscale model should as well, and (2) it is not at all unusual for brands to value their frequent and/or best customers, and should, as they tend to be more profitable over the long term. Asking for consideration, and indeed expecting a degree of acknowledgement is not a sin, at least as I see it, though Wrongway disagrees. But I'm ok with my position and with the fact that he sees things differently.
You know, the answer has been stated here, repeatedly, yet it still hasn't sunk in. So I'll try just one more time in black and white:
Your 35i, the pricier model, has two available connectors for an Apple product.
1) Standard USB port and
2) Smartphone Integration

Someone else's 28i does not have the Smartphone Integration package built in.

Because of the lack of this higher end feature that allows for a common Apple product (iPhone) to connect with the BMW, the 28i had to make do with the inclusion of the aforementioned Y-cable. (Well, the smartphone integration does happen to allow things like my Android phone to work with the BMW as well, but I digress)

X35i with Smartphone Integration allows for a wider variety of advanced electronics to connect.
X28i does not and makes do with lower tech connections and is equipped as such.

You know, I've had plenty of experiences with BMW's customer service or lack thereof in the past. I've used 3 different BMW dealers from one end of the state to the next. Overall, they do quite a bit to take care of their customers. Whether they've bought one car or ten. It would behoove them to do so since the customer that buys one today, might end up being a lifetime customer that buys 20.

Now, when things are directly attributable to BMW, I've had quite a bit of success in having them take care of it with no questions asked, and they've even gone over and above. Two situations come to mind.
1) Long out of warranty X3 seat heater burned a hole in the seat.
Not only did they replace the failed part, but they went over and above and replaced the entire seat with a loaner car to boot while they ordered the part(s) and fixed it. All on a vehicle that had over 100,000 miles on it.
2) After a routine oil change, about a quart of oil ended up on the floor of my garage.
Customer service, without knowing if it was their fault or mine, loaned me a GT 5 series, and sent me on my way with a $50 gas card and told me to call back Monday when their mechanics were back to work (it was 6:00PM on a Friday) Turns out, the mechanic failed to properly torque the oil filter. No charge for anything.

When it can't be ascertained whether or not it is a BMW fault, it is definitely like getting the run around (Anyone who has had problems with the 2007+ E83 Automatic transmission programming could probably attest to this)

Here's where I address Runon's point #2:
BMW can only cover so many models and iterations of the iPod. Your Apple product might not play nice with their BMW. Not their problem and could very well be yours. Not their responsibility to bend over backwards for what could be an out of date iPod that isn't fully supported. Get an iPhone. Or a newer iPod that plays nicer.
Apple != BMW's responsibility.
(For those not in the know, "!=" would be the equivalent of "Not equal to")

The fact that BMW (or any auto manufacturer for that matter) even includes available options for you to use another company's equipment in their vehicle (especially to utilize some of the more advanced features like MP3 tag display and wireless fast forwarding or rewinding) is a nod to customer service in and of itself.