View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 08:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock 32 View Post
Shawn,

I am soon about to get started (slowly)... First I was going to read coding data of all of my green CAFD and then copy to another folder (which I assume is good practice even if I may never need and would likely restore using VO coding).

First question: Is it safe to use the ctrl key and select all of the green CAFD files and then richt click and "read coding data" or should I do them one at a time or a few at a time?

Second question: Roughly how many CAFD files are there to read and how much time should it take just to read all the original CAFD files if I were to select all of them and read all of them at once or if I were to do them one at a time?

Verification of my approach:

1. My plan for my first connection to the car is to read all the CAFD (either one by one or all at once depending on what you recommend) and then disconecting from the car and making a backup copy of those files (to another folder).

2. I would then work offline with the FDL editor editing the CAFD files I read (located C:\ESysdata\CAF and not the backup copies, of course) and save the edited CAFD files(s).

3. Then I would connect to the car, click read and then right click FA and activate FA...

4. Then I would click on the CAFD file that I edited (offline) and click Code FDL (or would it be better to read it again and do the edit it while connected to the car / eliminate step 2)?

Thank you again for all of your assistance and sorry if I am being a little too concerned here (e.g. too many questions), just don't want to do something stupid and brick my new M5. I really appreaciate all you and others (e.g. April1, etc.) contribute and how patient and willing to help you are...

Oh crap, one last question (I know to run the ZGW_Search in XP mode which I already set), do I need to run e-sys in xp mode? I have a windows 7 64 bit laptop (same as you, I think) and I think you stated e-sys works with Windows 7 64-bit (i.e. not in xp mode)?
I have never actually tried to read more than one module simultaneously, but if it is possible, I would not worry about doing so. It should be perfectly fine.

In my car, I have around 40 CAFD's, and on average it takes maybe 20 -30 seconds to read a module.

I am not sure on your "plan". I study my CAFD's while disconnected, but I have never edited one and saved it, and then attempted to connect back to the car and code the module with it. After your step 3, after you read and activate FA, I don't think you will have your SVT with all your modules still showing, particularly if E-Sys was shutdown and reopened during this "off-line working period", and you will have to read your VCM and for each module add your edited CAFD to it and code it.

I run E-Sys straight from my Win7 64-Bit machine, with ZGW_SEARCH.exe running in XP Mode. I also have a version virtualized on XP Mode that I can use, but seldom do.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - 2TB SAT / 6WB MFID Cluster / 4U1 Ceramic Controls / 6NR BMW Apps / Rear Fog Lights / Cyba Double Layer Black Chrome Quad Tips