View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 10:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runon MD1 View Post
At the risk of repetition, and perhaps I'm just being dense despite Wrongway's attempts at explanation, I really don't understand why, if given the premise that wiring in the X35i differs from that in the X28i (which suggests that there is a connection point of some nature or structure), why no cable is supplied in the X35i that would fit/work with let's say an iPod, whether we're talking USB, smart phone, or whatever. They managed to figure it out for the X28i. Why not accommodate an iPhone for the X35i, and provide a cable for it? Or an Android-compatible cable for that matter? Let BMW choose. I would have no problem with that.
Richard
Missed the above answers? (Wasn't even from me!)
The USB port is your connection to an iPod. Those are included with iPods when you buy them.

Why include a cable if the USB port should plug into a cable you already own?

Note, someone else other than I explained before I even posted that their iPod and it's cable work just fine in their X3.

Not to say it's a perfect solution. Hence why in your particular case, your equipment level also has Smartphone Integration. All of this is also assuming your iPod isn't defective! Maybe one of your pins is shorted and can't/won't carry the information needed by the vehicle!

Not to say I think BMW is perfect or always provides stellar service.

There are plenty of things I've never had satisfactorily taken care of. To this day, I still won't use the Panoramic Roof in my X3 since it was never fully fixed to my satisfaction and anecdotal evidence seems to indicate that my roof will eventually end up costing me a $3000+ repair.

Some things, if within the power of BMW or a dealership they'll take care of. Other things, they won't. It's as simple as that.