View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 03:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 328i m-sport EB2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_or_audi View Post
Sure you can. The 3 was never that luxurious to begin with. This one is the most luxurious ever. The price tag isn't that high when adjusted to inflation, as has been discussed many times. And while the level of luxury has gone up, so has the level of luxury in higher end models.

It comes standard with plastic seats. You can upgrade to ... "Dakota leather." That is the least luxurious leather you can find in a car. To see higher luxury, go sit in say an Audi A8 or an S class (I am sure the 7 is similar) .

exactly.

a 3 is actually slightly cheaper now than say when the E46 came out if you factor in inflation statistics and believe the numbers.

http://www.insideline.com/bmw/3-seri...23i-sport.html

1999 323i sedan. base msrp was $27k. 2012 328i , base MSRP was what $35k (or 36500 if you want to go with the 2013 which has a few more standard items)?

seems fair considering its been 12 years or so. in fact using this http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

you can actually see $27k 1998 (the year the e46 came out) dollars is about the same as $38k 2012 dollars.

maybe this is un macho guy heresy, but i've driven a few E46s and i'd much rather have the F30 even if it is a little softer. the E46 was probably marginally more fun to drive and I remember loving every minute of driving it (first drove e46 in college when it came out when a family friend let me drive a couple he owned) but the F30 is probably at least in my opinion the better every day car (isnt that what a 3 series is, supposedly a sporty every day car , its not a track car or a lotus elise or something right?). or im getting old.

As for leatherette vs dakota, well i think at this level its not even worth getting leather since you can barely tell the difference. the 5 series has nappa leather as its optional 3rd higher tier above dakota for ~$1000. in my opinion probably the first tier worth even getting over leatherette as its the first really noticeable difference.