View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 09:02 AM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
I don't want to get into the business of resurrecting really old threads, but I'm going to make an exception this time.

I have a 550 on order right now. It has not started production, so the order can be modified. I added every package and option except individual (because of m sport), night vision, b&o sound, and rear seat entertainment. I am reconsidering the night vision.

I drive my two girls to school every morning. During this time of year, it's dark when I drive them. Additionally, because they go to school so early, they wake me up :-) So I'm generally still waking up while I'm behind the wheel. Sure, I could change my habit and get up earlier so I'm awake. But I won't.

This morning a couple of joggers (who weren't jogging, they were just walking) were crossing the road. I didn't see them at all because they didn't have good reflective clothing on. I was probably 8 feet away from them when I drove by. They had already crossed my lane and were in the opposing traffic lane when I passed them. So they probably knew they weren't going to get hit so didn't bother to pick up their pace. But it startled me.

And then, I noticed several other joggers on the way and way back, most of which didn't have anything reflective on.

I immediately thought of the night vision feature and wondered if it wouldn't be worth $30/month to add it for piece of mind. I would really only use it in the morning when driving the girls to school.

What are your guys' thoughts? Anyone else besides the original contributors to this thread purchase the option and use it? Does it work well?

I will have HUD so if it shows ped detection on the HUD that would be nice.

-Corey