View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 09:09 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowsled7 View Post
From Exxon-Mobil....

Question:
Does Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF Meet the Requirements for ZF Transmissions?
I have found out that Mobil is recommending the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF as a replacement for the Esso LT 71141 ATF used in BMW transmissions. I have a 1998 BMW 750iL with a ZF 5HP30 transmission, does Mobil Oil guarantee this product as meeting all the requirements of the ZF transmission?
-- McGarvey Cline II, Gainesville, FL

Answer:
No. We do not guarantee that the product meets all the requirements of ZF transmissions, which are very extensive depending on the transmission type/model year. ExxonMobil does say that this product is suitable for use in this application based on the type and quality of the recommended fluid, Esso LT 71141.

Use non-approved fluids at your own risk, seems to be the stance of the oil company

I think the correct advice is to top off the fluid using what is spec'd for the specific trans.

So they say its the same as Esso LT, but they just won't guarantee it ? That sounds like a contradiction? From Exxonmobil? How could that be ?

Perhaps its because they did not manufacture the transmission or did not feel bothered to put it through the 10,000 hours of tests, because they are not in the transmission business, and LT was the benchmark anyway.

In any case, the manual says specifically NOT to use Dex3 in my transmission. That's exactly what's in there right now, and has been so for the past 3 years, with absolutely no difference to the tranny's performance from the previous fluid, which I later realised was ZF Lifeguard. That was my pre mafia days when I didn't know the good from bad and had not encountered the bentley manual. The lifeguard was in good shape to boot. Damn.

So not only is Dex3 working fine in my car, it is also mixing with the 1-3 litres of zf lifeguard which would have been left in my torque convertor from the last oil change, and no mischief has resulted, and from a recent inspection of the oil's colour, its still good.

The moral of the story is that nothing beats independent research, common sense, gut instinct, and reading about people's varied experiences widely, asking questions, and cogitating all of that. Not everyone sees the value of such a temperament.

rgds,
Roberto

Last edited by robertobaggio20; 12-05-2012 at 09:17 AM.