View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 12:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3 3.0 Auto Tran
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3brian View Post
BMW changed its tune on the tranny's in 07 and now recommend 100,000 mile fluid change. Keep in mind while the GM transmission is different for post lci refresh its the same fluid dexron iv...some food for thought...

I change mine every 30k...but auto are like a box of chocolate...you never know what your going to get.

As for the electric fan, it comes out super easy once the air snorkel is removed. It's only like two clips that hold it in place.

For the cooling system for the m54 motor it is recommended to change water pump and thermostat at the same time as expansion tank. They are known problem areas. Some also like to replace radiator too so it's a 1 and done solution. I know with the e39 it was like clock work every 76k miles the cooling system would fail.
Point well made. I'll speak to the dealership about the tranny but this is an 04. Or you meant to say that their minds change in 07 about what they said regarding auto trannys in general.

I'd love to change the water pump and thermostat now but I won't get the chance... I'll just replace the expansion tank and hope that it holds up! And talking about the water pump, is the BMW OEM part still using the plastic part? I know some aftermarket water pumps upgrade it to METAL but I'd like to stick as OEM as possible if I can... and all I have to say is who in the world thinks plastic will hold up to extreme conditions? would it cost that much more to make the little part out of metal?

Gee