View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Runon MD1

Send a message via AIM to Runon MD1
Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
Consumer Reports

My iPhone has not been tested in the X3 for music purposes yet, but I assume it will work fine (stay tuned). The Bluetooth function for making and receiving phone calls is working well, but that's a different topic.

My new iPod Nano (Version 7) works fine with the new pin adapter. My old iPod (Classic) never worked in my X3 with the standard USB connector/cable from my 2010 3-series, nor with a replacement standard non-Y connector at the dealership ("No device recognized"), but does with the Y connector.

I will look at the link kindly provided by the other poster, but still don't know why BMW doesn't provide a cable in the X35i for iPod users who may prefer to listen to music through that method rather than through an iPhone, even if that cable doesn't meet the needs of all.

And, as noted above, my old iPod worked fine in my 2010 car, and in my previous 2008 3-series (USB connectors in both). I really don't think it's a pin issue, but I'm far from an expert.

With all due respect to Wrongway, I don't think that his question as to why BMW should provide a cable if mine contains a USB port into which I can plug the connector I already own is valid or on point, as it "assumes facts not in evidence," as our legal brethren often say. Just how does BMW know that I own such a connector cable? Maybe I'm upgrading from a Yugo, and have been using an old hanger and aluminum foil for an antenna or in a vain attempt to play my iTunes.

And, again, something working in his or her BMW doesn't really affect me, as I see it.

I am probably missing something basic, and I both apologize and appreciate your collective patience with me in responding. I do understand the concept of a snap-in phone cradle, though.

Richard

Last edited by Runon MD1; 12-05-2012 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Grammar