View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 09:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3 3.0 Auto Tran
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3brian View Post
The dealer charges! Lol. Figure $150 if you need an update. However try the transmission reset procedure first. I'll need help from the folks with a gm5 tranny to walk you through it, because I have the gm6. I am not sure if the steps are different.

If that doesn't help, at 98k miles I would then drop the pan and change fluid and filter.

Another possible culprit could be your drive shaft.
Thanks, you been really helpful. I am still so cautious about changing the tranny fluid... the dealership service guy I spoke to was charging me 400 bucks and told me if it went bad it was on me. He also said, just to ride it.. it's been 100k miles, and I read that unless you have done the fluid changes consistently in the past, it's a BAD idea to do it at 100k when everything is settled.

UGH this is turning out to be a little too much but I gotta start somewhere... I'll try the tranny reset and see if that fixes the issue. I am trying to tackle one issue at a time and right now the transfer case fluid DEFINITELY has priority.

Bought the coolant tank and will try to do that soon too... this might be a stupid question but to remove the tank, must I raise the car? or is an X3 high enough... I'm a thin guy so I think I can squeeze in unless there's major maneuvering around...