View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 08:41 PM
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black

Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
Not certain how much of a "realist" TXTStyle is with a $117K+ vehicle as only about 5% of the population can afford one. As some on here are aware, I sold my '06 w/89K miles recently due to this decision and bought a X5 Diesel for 'realist' reasons. It hold 5 passenger's comfortably (self/wife/both boys (9&16) & occasionally G-Ma who turned 74 this past year. Being a 425 ft/lbs torque, it also has the ability to pull "stuff" VERY EASILY whether it be an enclosed trailer with a couple of Cruiser-styled bikes or a used 2007 27-foot formula boat (bought with the cash difference between the X5 and the GL)... http://boats.oodle.com/detail/2007-f...-www-_-NA-_-NA

BMW is dealing on these things RIGHT NOW and you can buy a fully equipped X5d for $55K to $60K so it's 50% of what they want for that GL. My "budget was between $45K & $70K so I DID look at the GL Diesel, the Porsche Cayenne Diesel & The Audi Q7 Diesel. The GL was simply WAY TOO BIG for being practical (for us). It has a 3rd-row seat that would be a wasted, fuel economy was ...not too good. My wife is tiny @ only 5-feet tall so although she likes driving SUV's so that she can see better, the GL was essentially WAY TOO big and she would have been nervous driving it (like she was with the 7-series)

Both the Audi & the Porsche were rated to 7K lbs which may have allowed me to consider a larger boat but to be honest, I didn't even trailer the LS-252 I owned much but rather simply left it on the lift in the slip so would probably do the same thing for my next Formula or Fountain or... but it would be nice to have the ability to tow it if I wanted. The other thing about the X5 is that I equipped it with all season tires so that I didn't have to continue borrowing the wife's Highlander Hybrid 4x4 for all the winter ski trips with m boys!

If money were no option & fuel prices were not projected to crest $5/gallon over the next five years, the AMG63 GL could be a contender but I have a feeling that removing financial restraint, I would rather buy the newer Porsche Cayenne Turbo S in it's place
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...=ApvA4FrUJkQ#!

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)

Last edited by ndabunka; 12-05-2012 at 09:05 PM.