View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 01:55 PM
Not another blue puddle!

Mein Auto: 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV99 View Post
If the engine would wear faster running it to redline, why does BMW set the redline at the current level when they know it will hurt the motor. I could see wear happening if you decided to keep run it at redline constantly for miles on end but your only there for 1 second at a time. I had a v8(375 rw hp) car which was a daily driver and ran 1/4 miles at the track all the time. I put over 75k miles on it and the car was still strong when I sold it. There is no way you could drive your car as hard as I drove that car and yours is a much better motor. Drive it like you stole it and don't worry. It is more fun that way.
I hear ya! Thanks for the input. I'm mostly just asking the question because of my previous experience with my 540. I drove it like I stole it at all times and changed the oil every 5k, but at 143k my timing chain guides failed. This caused a VANOS issue and it could not be repaired for less than the car was worth. Not that I'm trying to be conservative with my new car, but I just don't want to deal with a $5,000 repair if I can help it.

2008 550i Sport
Space Gray Metallic

2001 540i6 - Deceased
Topaz Metallic Blue